Wednesday, February 25, 2015

My Morning Routine

The last prompt for this month's writing challenges from the Let Your Blog Shine group is "Your Morning Routine".  Oh this should be fun.  Let's just put this out there right now - I'm not a morning person.  I'm also not a night owl either, but that's neither here nor there.  So I'll just warn you, getting in my head in the morning might be a scary place to be, but here we go anyway!

6:00 am.  Alarm goes off.  I lay in bed desperately clinging to my blankets and wishing I could have just five more minutes.  I never hit snooze though.  I give myself until about 6:02 and then I'm off to the bathroom.

As I walk to the bathroom - which isn't even two feet from my bedroom I think - I am extremely careful not to hit any of the floorboards (we have an OLD house) so that they won't make noise and wake up Ollie.  It could be an Olympic event I swear.

Once in the bathroom, I turn on the shower so it warms up a bit.  Take care of my bladder needs (don't we all?), pull off my pajamas, weigh myself and then pop in the shower.  Oh that hot water is delightful, especially on these cold winter mornings.  It takes me a minute or two to decide that just standing in the hot water is not probably the place I can spend my whole day, so I finally get myself cleaned up.  I wash my hair first, face second and body last.  Then I stand and phase out for a little bit because let's face it, no amount of hot water is going to truly wake me up in the morning.  Only one thing has that power - coffee - and I haven't had that yet.  Somehow I finally convince myself to get out and get moving.

I dry off, comb my hair and brush my teeth.  I get dressed (I always have my clothes picked out the night before, saves time in the morning and I bring them with me to the bathroom so I can give Nate a few extra minutes of quiet in our room in the mornings).  I then dry my hair.  In the summer I was air drying my hair, but with how cold it's been this winter and especially now that I'm growing it out, I dry it a bit.  Not for long, maybe a minute.  I finish off in the bathroom with putting my makeup on.

Now it's just about 6:30 and that's when Nate's alarm goes off.  I can hear Ollie starting to stir, but I leave him be and head into our bedroom.  Nate turns on the lamp when he hears me come in and starts getting himself moving.  He's usually the one who goes to get Ollie then, I'll sometimes go if he seems particularly distressed before this point, but he's usually sitting in his crib just babbling so he can wait for Nate.  While Nate gets Ollie up and changes his diaper, I make our bed and then put on any jewelry I want to wear and pick out my shoes for the day.

Nate plays with Ollie for a bit and I make my coffee, pack up Ollie's bag for the day and load up the car.  By the time I am done with all of that, the coffee is brewed, so I pour my very large travel mug, then get Ollie bundled up.  We say goodbye to Nate and head out to the car.  We manage to leave our house by 6:45/6:50 at the latest.

It only takes about ten minutes to drive to my parents house.  One of my favorite things in the morning on our drive is two DJs on one of our local radio stations play a "Guess Who Turns What" game each day at this time where one of them reads clues to the other one about celebrity birthdays of the day.  I like listening and playing along.  

7:00 am and we're pulling into my parents driveway.  My mom comes out to meet us and gets Oliver out of the car and then I grab my coffee, purse and Ollie's bag and come in behind them.  My mom feeds Oliver his oatmeal and I fix myself some breakfast - often just cereal and toast - and have about half of my coffee while I eat that.  After Ollie and I are both done eating, I used to nurse him at this time and watch the morning news, but we've now transitioned him to a bottle at this feeding, so now I give him his bottle.  We get him dressed for the day as well and then I play with him until I need to leave for work at 7:45.

So now it's 7:45 and I grab my coffee (are you starting to see how important my coffee is?), get my coat on and my purse and kiss Ollie goodbye.  He's pretty good about it when I leave, he says "bye bye" very sweetly and often goes to the window to wave to me, but he doesn't cry or get sad.  That makes it easier to leave him.

8:00 am I roll into my work parking lot.  I make the trek up three flights of stairs to the third floor where my office is.  I always take the stairs for the extra exercise unless I'm really loaded down with stuff that day, then I'll take the elevator.  I open up my work computer and get myself punched in for the day, I check emails and then I quick take Instagram or blog pictures before my boss gets in (I know, I'm bad).  Then I pretty much settle in for the work day!  While finishing my coffee.  Because coffee.  By the time I'm pretty awake and with it and ready to tackle just about anything.

The morning usually goes by pretty fast after this.  I try to make myself get up about once an hour and move around.  Then at 11:30 I go to lunch and then we're into the afternoon after that!

So there you go!  I guess it's not that scary overall, if anything, it's not that exciting!  Of course, weekends are an entire other ballgame, but I'll just have to share that routine on another day! 

What does your morning routine look like?

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! It makes my day to hear from you!